Things I Love: Psycho Women!

β€œAs a society, we encourage girls and women to be emotionally accessible, and in touch with their feelings; we say that it’s an innately feminine trait. We say it, that is, until they have feelings that make us uncomfortable, at which point we recast them as melodramatic harpies, shrieking banshees, and basket cases”
β€”Tori Amos


In the media women who defy common restrictions and conventions have been labeled words like "crazy" "psycho", "bitch", "dragon lady", "harpie", "bossy", "ice queen", "dyke", "pushy", and "menstrual". I can't count how many times I've stood up for myself and someone has asked me if I'm PMSing. No honey, this isn't because I've got a hormonal imbalance this is because I've had enough of your shit.
In movies especially the "crazy" woman is the brown haired antagonist and she is usually poised opposite a pure, docile, blonde haired, innocent who just wants to bake cookies and be a good woman to her man.

Team Jolie, baby!  

The dark haired girl (of which 60% of the worlds population is) is poised as being a seducer, a witch, a Jezebel and is consistently thought of as being crafty and underhanded. How are we supposed to deal with that kind of horse shit?? Brunettes are by no way superior to blondes but theirs more of us so we shouldn't still have this stereotype running around.
I'm looking you Taylor "Public Enemy #1" Swift

This brunette/blonde dynamic doesn't follow every example but in pop music the woman that dresses differently or is trying to do something dynamic is labeled as being crazy as well. 
Crazy 

America's Sweetheart 
Crazy Whore
America's Sweetheart #2


I'd like to argue that these "crazy" women are just misunderstood and really determined and passionate in a world that forces women to choose to be likable instead of aggressive and direct. When I was a child I wanted to be Ursula because she had power and wasn't throwing away and risking so much to get with some guy she didn't even know. I liked Cruella deVille because she owned her own business, had some killer style and drove a bad ass car. When I see a movie I am 95% of the time attracted to the tough, brunette, bad ass who goes after what she wants and doesn't take anyone's shit. Unfortunately she is usually also the bad guy. 

HBIC's right here


Lets take a look at some of my favorite femme fatales from movies!







The common thread in this is that these women usually suffer from some sort of psychological break or emotional deficiency that makes them react violently. In other movies male killers are just that, killers, they enjoy murder and kill for killings sake. Maybe the difference is that society can't accept a woman that is evil for evils sake and must find an excuse for her behavior  Also most of these women were killed or caught at the end of the movie, where as male killers often make it to the sequel (and the inevitable franchise) and society is restored back to a balance.

My belief is that everyone woman needs a little bit of both. The "psycho" woman is not a dark side to be turned away, rejected or killed, but embraced and utilized when you need a bitch to get shit done. And every woman has times where she has to be a bitch to get shit done.

Here is a song from one of my favorite "psycho bitches" Shirley Manson. #1 Crush by Garbage.


Labels: ,