My Latest Obsession: Marina and the Diamonds

It must have been last year that I first heard the song "Primadonna Girl" by Marina and the Diamonds. I instantly fell in love with the lyrics and the electro pop sound of the song, but the girl singing the song, well that was something else. Marina Diamandis, is the singer behind the title Marina and the Diamonds, so really, there are no 'the Diamonds', just her. In 2005, she created that name for herself and when describing the origin of the title she says, "I never envisaged a character, pop project, band or solo artist. I saw a simple group made up of many people who had the same hearts. A space for people with similar ideals who could not fit in to life's pre-made mould. I was terribly awkward for a long time! I really craved to be part of one thing because I never felt too connected to anybody and now I feel I have that all around me."
A Welsh singer popular in the UK since 2010, with her album "The Crown Jewels", her debut single being "Mowgli's Road" released in 2009. Since then she has been signed in the United States, gone on both a UK tour and an American tour and released a new albulm titled "Electra Heart". She's poised to make herself big in America and I'm going to her show here in town on May 28th. I'm so excited.
Known for her unique visual presentation in her music videos, she has released a series of music videos called "The Archetypes." Each one representing a different part of "Electra Heart", the alter ego of Marina, she says, "Electra Heart is the antithesis of everything that I stand for. And the point of introducing her and building a whole concept around her is that she stands for the corrupt side of American ideology, and basically that's the corruption of yourself. My worst fear—that's anyone's worst fear—is losing myself and becoming a vacuous person. And that happens a lot when you're very ambitious."

PART 1: FEAR AND LOATHING 




PART 2: RADIOACTIVE




PART 3: THE ARCHETYPE




PART 4: PRIMADONNA GIRL




PART 5: SU-BARBIE-A




PART 6: POWER & CONTROL 




PART 7: HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER




PART 8: E.V.O.L.


Labels: , , , , ,